Tuesday, June 10, 2008

home

I have been back in the states for about a day. India feels like a far and distant memory already. I am puzzled by people asking me how the trip was. Especially after working at Tong-len, what do you say? I am also shocked at the silence that surrounds me as I type this. I have not heard this little noise in, well i don't know if I remember it ever being this quiet now that I have had the chaos of Delhi ring through my ears. I am happy to be home, sad to be away from calm mountainous Dharmsala and His Holiness, and still trying to process my grand adventure. Oh one thing I wanted to ask everyone, did you see how freakin clean the airport bathroom was???? Anyway, a few things I have noticed since my return, North Carolina is hot but not as hot as Delhi, Agra, or Varnasi. It is abnormally quiet here and only cars are on the highway. Also there are no cows chilling in the street or calmly milling around town. I had grown fond of them. Oh and Americans have a pretty cushy life comparitively and would have many rupees if they were in India. India was not a place I thought I would ever go to but I am so glad that I did. I got to see and experience many strange and wonderful things that I never could have imagined. I never thought I would see the Taj Mahal,(Elliot I am still mad you rode an elephant in Agra without me.) the Ganges, the Dalai Lama, a leper, a slum with "homes" made of black plastic, children that begged for a living, but I did. And I think that I am a better person for it. I am very very grateful for all that I have, like a home, an education, and my health and wish these wonderful gifts I have been blessed with for my fellow human beings, like those amazing boys and girls in the slum and hostiles. I hope to keep discovering the ways that India has changed me and those who experienced it with me. Hope you are all safely home resting and recovering from the long plane ride. I can't wait to see you all again. Have a safe and happy summer.
PS Maher aka Cha-Cha, Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in India. Remember the no stupid rule, have safe travels and thank you for the amazing experience. One more thing, THIS IS A COW!!!

No comments: