Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ahhh Dharmsala

So I have to say of all the place I have been in India...this place is the best. The people here are great and this place is so rich in Tibetan culture and the Buddhist way of life that it is probably the safest place on earth. So far I have seen the Dalai Lama twice and I swear it is so weird how star struck I am...I mean I am not even Buddhist, but no one can deny that he is a great man and to see him and be present at a prayer service he conducted (even if I couldn't understand it) was awesome. We are getting to the last few days of the trip and I have realized a few more things that I want to share...
1. The Chinese Government is torturing/killing the Tibetan people and the people here have witnessed or even experienced this horror
2. We as American SOMETIMES have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world and we should do more to be informed about world events.
3. I never realized how much I appreciate Ice until I got here
4. Being on the top of a mountain is beautiful, but any "walking" you do is more like HIKING!
5. India makes you forget your troubles and realize that there are people in the world that are worse off than you...much worse.
6. Never say you would never do something...I mean in 25 days I have Hiked up a mountain, white water rafted, cliff dived, met the Dalai Lama, slept in hotels that Frommer's doesn't even give one star, and gone without meat (well at least for 18 days)! NEVER SAY NEVER!
We said goodbye to one of our group members the other day because she had to get back for her sisters graduation...I have to say I miss her! Right about now she should be landing in the US and itching for a shower and some home cooked food! You really get close to the people you have this kind of experience with...I mean sleeping in a bed next to a girl for 25days kinda makes you closer! I will admit this though...I miss my friends and family...I can't wait to see them again...but then I think I will miss India too. Hey why don't all of you move here and then I will have the best of both worlds!

No comments: