Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Well, now that we are halfway around the world, I feel that it is safe to say that this is the most exotic place I have ever been. Even though the heat is unbelievabe, it sort of adds to the mistique of some of the sites. For instance, while standing outside of the Baha'i Temple, the heat was so intense that I felt as if I might pass out. However, the structure itself (appearing to be a white lotus flower surrounded in pools of water) looks so pure. The overall vibe that I got from the temple was that of peace and welcome. I felt completely comfortable inside, and especially so while the women sang prayers. The museum was also very interesting. I never knew the history of this new-world religion. The history in which I read supports my initial feeling of peace and also seems like one of the most accepting of other religious thought. So far the Baha'i Temple along with the Taj Mahal have been the most impressive sites that we have seen. The Taj speaks for itself; being ranked on multiple lists as one of the 8 wonders of the world. It is a magnificent site. The white marble also gives a peaceful and pure overtone to the structure. The size is also an impressive feature to observe. I also like the fact that it was built out of love for his wife, yet he was imprisoned across the river (Agra Fort) where he could pine over her. It is tragic and romantic: Shakespeare would have gone crazy with this story if he could have learned about it in time.

I find this trip to be amazing, the group we are traveling with make it even better. Everyone is so much fun, and I am thankful to have Sharee here as my roomie to keep me out of trouble! :D

No comments: