Sunday, May 18, 2008

India

Yesterday was our first day here. It was really hot. We went to a cafe, an observatory and a market. The city is so busy. We rode in our first rickshaw, it is kind of like a golf cart but smaller and more manuvarable. It was terrifying and wonderful. Driving here is tricky business, strategic chaos is the best way I can think to describe it. Just walking on the road you have to be careful not to get run over by a car, moped, rickshaw, bike or a cow and avoid stepping in cow poop too. The people begging especially the children and disabled tug at my heart strings. There was one very dirty cute little boy who barely came up to my hip, his tiny open hand encouraged me to reach in my pocket for change. I was glad to hear later that someone else in our group gave the same little boy their leftover lunch. A few mothers came up to me with holding dirty and sometimes half naked toddlers asking for money for food or medicine. I wanted to give but I did not have change and feared being mobbed by more mothers and more children, though I know they are truly in need. The people who follow you around trying to sell you sunglasses, tiny chess sets, bindi stamps and postcards on the other hand do not tug my hearstrings, especially when they hound you dropping the price trying to get you to buy something that you do not want. It is very noisy, with constant horns and enigines. No one is shy about using their horn at all. Today we visited the Red Fort which was very beautiful with it's pleasure palaces and ornate architecture. In one of the trenches that used to hold running water there was an adorable litter of puppies. We all wanted to rescue them. After the Red Fort we went to Ghandi's park. It was very pretty. You had to take off your shoes and there was an eternal flame lit. There were all types of people there paying their respects to the father of the country. After lunch, which was wonderful, a never ending feast that ended with strawberry ice cream, we went to a beautiful Bahai Temple. I think it was my favorite place so far. The singing was beautiful and the information center was interesting. I really like what I've learned about Bahai so far and would enjoy learning more. Although it has been only 2 days, it feels like a lifetime in this hot unfamiliar busy, bustling place.

No comments: