Wednesday, May 28, 2008

learning yoga

Today was a first for me (as if pretty much everything in India hasn't been a first)...I learned some yoga. We started our session at 7 am on green mats in a grassy area of our hotel. The weather was perfect with a slight breeze to keep us cool as the sun got warmer by the minute. So, we began and...I learned that I am not very good at yoga. Yoga, as our instructor kept repeating, is about awareness. Apparently, I am not good at being aware of what I am doing. I'm not sure if it is my lack of gracefulness or my inability to concentrate on new moves when flies are landing on my nose, but I lacked the necessary skills to balance and/or create the same movements our instructor showed us. I continually lost my concentration and balance and often fell behind the group when transitioning positions (this may be why I never made it as a ballerina as a child). However, I heard rave reviews from the rest of the group and I am eager to try it again tomorrow and the next day. Hopefully I will get better or at least improve some. Our instructor was patient with me today and I look forward to working with him again tomorrow. I am looking forward to our next sessions since we will be in smaller groups, inside, and I will already have one day under my belt! Things already seem better for tomorrow...I will keep you updated on how I do.

No comments: