Monday, May 26, 2008

It is beautiful up here...

So after another horrible sleeper train (Rachel prayed to Tara for an unhorrible trip, but Tara didn't answer her prayers) we finally made it to Reishikesh in the foothills of the Himalayas. This place is amazing, it is cooler, has breathtaking views and is less crowded than Delhi. On the train ride here we were stared at (and not just glances, but full on staring in our faces), people were rude and dirtied up our sleeping area on the train, and a drunk man decided to make us his new friends on the train. After coming up here I don't miss the more urban areas of India, this is the place to be. Tomorrow starts our adventures here and I can't wait...yoga, waterfalls, swimming in the Ganges (well I wont be swimming but I will at least put my feet in the water). I wish we could just catch our flights home from here...or better yet why even go back when you could have a relaxing massage and meet some crazy yogi from Hickory, NC staying in the foothills of India and talking to lizards! Liz is so excited to be where the Beatles once were that I think she might never leave this place. The group is getting pretty close I think...Sadaf got really sick and we all pitched in to take care of her and now she is holding down food and laughing with us at dinner. I realize that group will always have a bond with each other that no one will understand unless they were here with us. I mean these other 16 people and I have experienced things that most other people will never get to do and we did them together and I will always remember them because of this experience, without them this trip would probably be unbearable. I am missing home less and less the longer I am here and it seems odd, but I am kinda dreading going back. I mean don't get me wrong, I miss my friends and family, but life just seems different here, less stressful, less of the stuff that brings people down everyday. I know that as soon as I get home my life will be changing so much...going home to Va, possibly not being in school next semester, and deploying to Iraq in Nov...this place doesn't make me think of those things...and when I get on that plane it will all come back.

No comments: